The inside of the windchest was lined with newspaper – dated 1881, which gives a fairly precise date for its making.
The bellows are very large, which helps to maintain a stable wind pressure of 3 inches. The organ was originally blown by hand with a big lever, but at some stage an electric blower had been provided. In its location at St Gregory’s there is no room in the organ chamber for hand blowing, so this facility will not form part of the restored instrument.
There is a discussion about organ restoration, and some would want everything of the original instrument preserved. While this may be a valid ideal, it is not always a practical option.
The removal of the provision for hand-blowing was also a reason for losing the Grade 1 listing.